Whether you drive to work, take the subway, or hop on a bus, there are many different things you can do to get things moving in your day. Commutes often take up quite a bit of time, especially during rush hour. You may as well take full advantage of the time you have in order to ensure that your day is optimized for success.
There are many ways to jump-start your day while commuting to work. Here are some activities you can do while you travel to get a great start to your day:
- Listen to books. If you’re traveling to work in your car, invest in audio books you’ve been wanting to read but can’t seem to find the time.
- Plan your day. If you commute by way of a bus or subway, or even in a car pool, you can take advantage of the time by planning your day or detailing project plans.
- Write down notes about your various projects, prioritize your daily tasks by creating a to-do list, or schedule meetings by using your laptop or phone.
- Be wary of talking on your cell phone while commuting. Loud conversations can annoy other travelers and your reception might be spotty at times.
- Take care of emails. Email is a common time trap during the day. If you have access to the Internet during your commute, it may be an ideal time to check your email for any important information or to reply to those
emails that have long been awaiting your response.
- Taking care of administrative or simple email tasks on the way to work can help ease the load when you get to the office.
- Organizing your in-box with filters and folders can make checking email a quick task.
- Relax with hobbies or learn new things. Use your commuting time to do something fun for yourself, such as studying a new language or learning about a topic that draws your interest. You can keep your mind sharp and discover new things by taking the time you have during your commute to experience something different.
- What have you always wanted to do but never find the time for? Sit down with your favorite crossword puzzle or magazine, or watch a favorite television show on your laptop or phone. Enjoy your time before work begins!
- Eat breakfast. If you’re running out of the house to catch a train or bus, take a minute to grab a healthy breakfast to eat on your way to work. Many commuter stations have breakfast carts available so grab something to eat alongside your morning tea or coffee.
- Not only will breakfast jump start your metabolism but you’ll also have increased energy by the time you reach the office.
These are just a few different ways to jump-start your day during your morning commute. While you may
only have a limited amount of time in the morning, you can really make the best of it!